Though we use baking soda for industrial as well as household purposes, many are not aware of the fact that baking soda is used in treating gastric problems. Baking soda is also known as sodium bicarbonate and comes in white crystalline form. This is a systemic antacid which alkalizes the urine. Baking soda cleanses the body cavities. Pour baking soda is used as a remedy for upset stomach.
Upset stomach is also known as dyspepsia or indigestion. The person with upset stomach experiences pain or discomfort in the upper abdomen area. Indigestion occurs as a result of over eating, GERD, eating the food faster, due some medications, blocks in the intestine or due to stress. The regular occurrence of indigestion can lead to stomach cancer, heartburn and nausea.
How Baking Soda Helps With Upset Stomach?
Our stomach produces a mild acid which helps in digesting the food we eat. Over production of the acids in the stomach leads to the burning sensation and pain in the stomach. Baking soda is alkaline in nature helps to neutralize the acids in the stomach. Here are the properties of baking soda, which makes it an effective cure for upset stomach.
- Baking soda has cleansing property which helps to cleanse the body by removing the toxic substances from the body
- The stomach contains hydrochloric acid, which helps in the natural digestion of the food. Overeating or fast eating result in excess production of this acid. Baking soda helps to break down the fats present in the food and helps in easy digestion.
- It acts as an antacid and help in maintaining the pH balance of the body and ensure proper functioning of the digestive system.
- The pain during upset stomach is mainly due to the increased acidity. Baking soda has a pH of 8.4 and it neutralizes acid and eases the pain.
- Drinking water with baking soda dissolved in it helps in reducing production of gas formation and bloating in the stomach and hence reduces burping.
How To Use Baking Soda For Upset Stomach?
Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is a natural antacid which can be used in different ways to treat upset stomach. If you have digestion problems or if you are suffering from heartburn, try the methods given below.
Baking Soda and Water For Upset Stomach
Baking soda easily dissolves in water and intestine is able to absorb it easily and use it for neutralizing the acidity. When baking soda is mixed with water, it helps in carbonation and reduces the bloating feeling by burping.
Diluted Baking Soda for Upset Stomach
- Take 1/2 glass of water and dissolve 1 teaspoon of baking soda in it
- Stir it well till the baking soda gets dissolved in it properly.
- Drink this solution every four hours or according to the severity of the problem
- This solution gives relief from bloating, stomach acid and nausea
- People with high blood pressure or with sodium restricted diet should avoid this remedy. This remedy can cause increased blood pressure in people.
Warm Water And Baking Soda for Upset Stomach
- Take a glass of warm water and add 1 tsp of baking soda in it
- Add 1 tsp of lemon juice to the water and mix well till the baking soda dissolves
- Drink this solution to get fast relief from upset stomach and sour stomach
- Repeat the process once 3-4 hours if the stomach problem persists
Baking Soda And Vinegar for Upset Stomach
- Take ½ glass of water and mix in ½ teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate
- To this mix, add 1 teaspoon of vinegar. You can use apple cider vinegar or plain vinegar
- This mix starts bubbling up and when the bubbles are settled down, drink the mixture
- If the solution is not bubbling up, add some more baking soda and vinegar
- Vinegar and baking soda in the mix reduces acidity and gives effective relief from pain and discomfort caused by indigestion.
- If you do not get relief within 15 minutes, repeat the remedy once again
Lemon and Baking soda for Upset Stomach
- Take 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Add ½ teaspoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon honey to the lemon juice
- This mix will start foaming and drink this mix while it is still foaming
- This mixture will help to remove the trapped gases in the stomach by the carbonation process
- This will help in proper digestion and removing stomach pain
Peppermint And Baking Soda for Upset Stomach
- Make a decoction by boiling peppermint in 1cup water
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to the decoction when the decoction is still hot
- Mix well to dissolve the soda powder and drink the mix immediately
- You can also add lemon juice to the above mix, if you prefer
- You will find that the symptoms of indigestion are reducing within 15 minutes of consuming the decoction.
Apple Cider Vinegar And Baking Soda for Upset Stomach
- Take 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- Mix these in 1 glass of water. Make sure that you are mixing it in a large pitcher as this mix will produce bubbles.
- Add apple cider vinegar slowly to the pitcher to prevent excess bubbling.
- Drink this mix immediately to get rid of an upset stomach, nausea, heartburn and GERD
- To remove the sour taste of the mix, you can eat or suck orange wedges
- Repeat the remedy till you get relief from upset stomach
Baking soda for stomach pain
Upset stomach and acid reflux cause discomfort and pain in the upper abdomen. Baking soda reduces stomach pain neutralizing the excess stomach acid. You can use baking soda dissolved in water in different concentration to remove the problem.
Baking soda in low concentration for stomach pain
If the stomach pain is mild you can use this remedy. This remedy cannot be given to children. The dosage should not be more than 5 teaspoons of baking soda per day.
- Take 1-2 teaspoons of baking soda and dissolve it in a glass of cold water
- Mix well and consume the solution to cure stomach pain
- This remedy can be used to cure sour stomach and indigestion caused by the acidity of the stomach.
Baking soda in higher concentration for stomach pain
- Take 2 tablespoons of baking soda and mix it in one glass of water
- Drink this solution to cure stomach pain and gas faster
- Use this remedy whenever you are suffering from stomach pain caused by indigestion and acidity.
Baking Soda For Sour Stomach
Sour stomach or indigestion can be treated effectively using baking soda. Try the following:
Method to Get Rid of Sour Stomach
- Take a glass of water
- Mix in 1 teaspoon of baking soda, honey and apple cider vinegar
- Drink this mixture twice a day till you get complete relief from indigestion
The Right Dosage Of Baking Soda For Upset Stomach
It is necessary that you take the right dose of baking soda to cure the upset stomach
- Dosage for adults- Adults can take half to one teaspoon baking soda for every 3-4 hours
- Dosage for children- Children above 6 years can take a quarter to half teaspoon of baking soda
- The baking soda remedies are not advisable children below 6 years
Important Things To Follow While Using Baking Soda As A Cure For Upset Stomach
Follow the below given tips to get complete cure from upset stomach
Consult the doctor before taking baking soda as a cure, if you are on a sodium restricted diet.
Baking soda may interact with certain prescription drugs and hence consult the doctor about taking the right dosage
People with congestive heart problem, kidney damage, calcium absorption problem and liver cirrhosis should avoid taking this remedy for stomach problems
Breast feeding women and also Pregnant women should either avoid these remedies or consult the doctor before using it.
While taking the remedy make sure that the baking soda is completely dissolved
Always keep some pure baking soda at home to prevent stomach related problems
Repeat the remedy which you find suitable for your problems whenever you are in need.
You should follow a healthy diet and do regular exercises to avoid the health problem
Do not eat your food very fast and avoid oily and fatty and spicy foods to avoid upset stomach.
Try out the different remedies given and select the one which gives faster relief and which providing a soothing effect to your stomach.