To get a strong muscular frame, simply exercise and nutritious balanced diet is not enough. A good protein intake is also important. Whey proteins are one of the good protein supplements.
What are Whey proteins?
Whey proteins are the by-product of cheese manufacturing. It is in the watery portion that is separated from the curd when making cheese. Milk contains two sources of proteins: Casein and Whey. Whey protein may improve the nutrient content of one’s diet. It may also improve the immunity of an individual.
Get the right Whey Protein Supplement
There are different forms of whey protein supplements available in the market. Select the one which suits your requirement. In order to understand your requirement and decide which one to select, you must know all three types:
- Whey protein concentrates: Low in fat and cholesterol, have lowest protein content (still are 25-89 percent proteins by weight, remaining are fats (1-9%), carbohydrate like lactose (4-52%)) and have the highest BV or Biological Value. They have the highest lactose content, highest amount of peptides that increases the immunity, example, alpha-lactalbumin and immunoglobulins. They are also the cheapest form compared to the other forms. They are available in powdered form. Whey concentrate can be used both pre and post workout and even as a snack in between meals. This source of protein is not preferred to be used at night.
- Whey protein isolates: They are the purest form of protein. They are on an average 90-95% (by weight) protein, with minimum amount of lactose(0.5—1%) and fat(0.5-1%), but they are more expensive than concentrate. These proteins are good for those who are on low carbohydrate diet. Isolates are absorbed quickly and can help the muscle to help recover and grow by supplying the nutrients needed.
- Whey protein blends: A blend between the isolates and the concentrates, these whey proteins are generally the best suited in terms of efficiency and price; as they have a balanced amino acid profile.
- Whey Protein Hydrolysate: The long protein chains in the whey protein have been broken down into shorter chains called peptides. Due to this, they are more easily absorbed by the body and may reduce the chances of allergic reactions. Hydrolyzed variety of whey protein is often used in infant formulas and sports and medical nutrition products. Hydrolysis does not reduce the nutritional quality of the whey protein.
- Native whey protein: These are the purest form of whey protein that are extracted from skim milk and not a byproduct of cheese production. They are produced as a concentrate and isolate.
Why are Whey Proteins better?
In comparison to other protein source, whey protein has a good amino acid profile which helps in muscle build-up and a fast recovery from any other health issue.
Benefits of Whey Protein:
The benefits of whey proteins are listed below:
- Weight Management:
It helps an individual in achieving a healthy body mass, boosts metabolism and promotes muscle build-up giving a strong, muscular body.
- Immunity :
It is a rich source of anti-oxidants and therefore, helps make the immune system stronger and protects it from diseases and infections. It also helps in detoxification.
- Exercise recovery:
Helps in achieving a favorable body weight, improves lean body muscle after exercise (faster repair of muscles, rebuild and maintain) and improve muscle strength. It enhances body mass, provides natural source of energy and helps in preventing muscle loss associated with exercise induced stress.
- Healthy Ageing
It prevents muscle loss throughout the aging process and also helps minimizing the negative effects associated with an age related decline in glutathione levels
- Helpful in Special diet individuals: a. Lactose intolerant individuals:
Whey protein isolate variety contains little or no lactose. Plus it contains all of the essential and non-essential amino acids required by the human body. So it can be used by lactose intolerant individuals. But, they should read the label properly and must make sure that it does not contain any lactose.
b. Gluten free
Whey protein is naturally gluten-free. It contains all essential and non-essential amino acids required by the human body. It can also be used for preparing gluten-free recipes.
c. Bariatric surgery
Whey protein provides high quality protein with all essential amino acids for weight loss surgery patients, both pre-operation and post-operation. It helps maintain a digestive system healthy and well balanced.
The source of whey protein is milk, so it can be used by lacto-vegetarian individuals.
Whey protein may be protective against cancers. It may reduce the size and number of breast and colon cancer tumors (more effective than soy protein).
May help in fighting against several risk factors like cholesterol (help reduce total and LDL cholesterol), tri-glycerides, C-reactive protein and hypertension (may reduce B.P. in individuals with borderline hypertension-ACE inhibitory action)
- Gastrointestinal Health
Whey protein may give a protective action against ulcers (anti-microbial action against H. pylori). It contains bioactive components, so it can improve GI health. Helps improve weight gain and improve glutamine status during and after periods of illness.
- Good against obesity and its associated problems/diseases.
Who should take Whey proteins?
- Whey protein supplements are best suited for those individuals who are looking to build their muscle mass and overall body. One should take the whey protein as per their requirement (the form of protein which suits them best as per their body requirement)
- Advanced whey protein is recommended for athletes, bodybuilders and sportspersons. Whey protein can also be used by those who have obesity issues and weight loss concerns. It is a dietary supplement for vegetarians as it is a rich source of proteins. However, people who suffer from lactose intolerance should avoid the use of whey proteins but isolate variety can be used by them. But, the label of the product must be read properly and should be very sure that the product does not contain any lactose before using it. In case it does a strict no.
Where to buy Whey Proteins?
You can buy whey protein supplements from the market, pharmacists or purchase online from various sites.